27 November 2014

NZ flowers




Happy Kiwi Thanksgiving!! This little gem is blooming in our yard right now. Gorgeous! Now, if only someone would tell me what it is...

One of the things that has struck me the most moving to Southland is the flora. There are so many lovely things in bloom. Even when we moved here in May there were happy pansies planted and blooming all over Invercargill. I can't get over how huge some of the plants are. Here are some of the flowers in Winton in September. Rhododendrons can be enormous and are very common in many beautiful shades. The one below is in our yard and was blooming when we first moved into Winton. A nice fuchsia color. There are many blooming in town that are yellow, orange, purple, pink, white...so pretty. In Invercargill we saw some last week that are as big as a school bus. 



 Beautiful spring buds popping out from fruit trees, roses, forsythia, and beautiful flowers I have no idea what they are called. And strangely enough, these were all in bloom for a few weeks (including daisies) before our neighbor's lilac started to bloom! Our lilac in Michigan was a first flowering sign of spring. Funny what we get used to!

 Knowing when to plant a vege garden was a mystery to us. Thankfully some kind friends advised us! I did a double take the first time I flipped this seed package over. Not the growing zones I'm used to seeing. :)


Our rental home has a dilapidated tunnel house that we zip tied and duck taped some plastic on to give it a go! Tomatoes here must be in one and it sounded so fun to try. Mercy looooved being in the dirt and water. Abraham asked to plant some strawberries so we put some of those in the raised beds here. After yanking out some weeds they were nice to work in.
And these flowers are all in  our yard. I don't ever remember seeing one like this pretty pink plant. Help on the name?? So dainty. I took these with my lousy phone about 2 weeks ago. We have so many roses out now in our yard - they smell lovely and are growing with no help from me - yea! 








 A little garden tour of Southland. Wish it could be scratch and sniff! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Note for the Shire...